Well, today you are in luck! First off the definition of a neutral spine is to maintain the natural curves of your back while doing any exercise.
Start off by standing with your feet hip-width apart and do this move that we do in class. Do an extreme version of pelvic tilts forward and then an extreme version of a ski slope spine back then relax in the center and VOILA! You have found it. Your natural neutral spine!
Here is another way to find your neutral spine:
1. Lie down on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor, with your heels about a foot from your tailbone.
2. Rock your pelvis up and down so you can feel the top and bottom of your sacrum (the flat part of your back and pelvis).
3. Stop rocking and feel the entire sacrum on the ground allowing the 5 lower vertebrae in the lumbar (lower) spine to make a gentle curve away from the floor. It will be a small curve!
4. Your bottom rib should also be making contact with the floor.
5. The curve of your neck should mirror the curve of your lower spine so it should pull away from the floor as well.
In conclusion, having your spine in its most neutral state is going to keep your lower back safe from injury as well as make your work outs more effective!
Living Fitness™ is a world class fitness facility in Newport Coast, California, featuring personal training, a Pilates Studio, state-of the-art exercise equipment and resort-level facility design. Living Fitness cutting-edge Personal Training programs are led by some of the nation’s leading fitness Instructors. Living Fitness proudly serves residents of Newport Coast, Newport Beach, Corona del Mar, Laguna Beach and Irvine.